(June 8, 2009) – Cabarrus, NC – This is the summer of the “Griswald Family Vacation” when families all over the country will pile into their cars and head on down the road with no particular destination in mind – just stopping when they feel like stopping.
If adventure-bound families find themselves in North Carolina near The Racing Side of Charlotte, they should Stop Their Engines! This is NASCAR country and one of the fastest growing destinations in the country.
Twenty minutes north of Charlotte, 15 minutes east of I-77 and a half-hour south of I-40 — at I-85 Exit 49 alone – Griswald vacationers will find:
· A new Great Wolf Lodge – the largest indoor waterpark in the Carolinas
· Legendary Charlotte Motor Speedway – the superspeedway most NASCAR drivers call home
· Concord Mills, NC’s #1 visitor attraction – over 200 retail shops and manufacturer outlets
· Hendrick Motorsports and Roush Fenway Racing – with 90% of all NASCAR race shops nearby
· Racing adventures at NASCAR SpeedPark – challenging racetracks for all ages and abilities
· 24-screen, state-of-the-art AMC Theatre
· Embassy Suites Golf Resort Hotel & Spa – adjacent to the Concord Convention Center
· Rocky River Golf Club – Dan Maples designed championship course open to the public
· Southern hospitality at twelve hotels and over 50 restaurants
Most summertime activities in The Racing Side of Charlotte are free or at a very minimal cost:
Daily (some weekends, too) family activities include the Feel The Thrill Tours of legendary Charlotte Motor Speedway, self-guided tours of NASCAR race team shops and The Dale Trail in Dale Earnhardt’s hometown, hands-on driving experiences for all ages at NASCAR SpeedPark, air conditioned “Shoppertainment” at Concord Mills — NC’s #1 visitor attraction (children’s soft-play area; train rides; Bass Pro Shop fish feeding), gold panning at Reed Gold Mine State Historic Site, train rides and splash pads at Village Park and paddleboating and mini-golf at Frank Liske Park.
Throughout the summer (call ahead for dates and times): Weekly Legends and Bandolero racing at Charlotte Motor Speedway, short track racing at Concord Speedway, dirt track racing at The Dirt Track at Charlotte Motor Speedway, drag racing at zMAX Dragway at Concord, Kannapolis Intimidators Class A professional baseball games, concerts and movies in the park, live music in Historic Downtown Concord and Sunday night bull riding (the real thing) at Stegall’s Arena. (www.VisitCabarrus.com for details)
Through its Green Flag Card program, The Racing Side of Charlotte offers discounts on attractions, shopping and dining including buy-one-get-one-free meal discounts, 10 to 25% discounts on retail purchases and great savings on attractions and events. (www.greenflagcard.com for list of current discounts)
Whether Griswald vacationers want full-tilt excitement or a more relaxed pace, they are sure to find affordable, full-throttle fun for everyone in The Racing Side of Charlotte. For more information or to order a free visitors guide with fold-out map to North Carolina NASCAR race shops, please visit www.VisitCabarrus.com