We’ve got your number.
Cabarrus County, North Carolina—“Where Racing Lives!”
Positioned in the rolling countryside of the Carolina Piedmont, Cabarrus County is located in south-central North Carolina just 20 minutes northeast of Charlotte, North Carolina. The region is home to more than 1.8 million people and includes the cities of Concord and Kannapolis as well as the towns of Harrisburg, Midland and Mount Pleasant.
Known as the heart of NASCAR country, Cabarrus County is home to an exciting motorsports heritage. Not only was the first World 600 race held here in 1960 at legendary Charlotte Motor Speedway, but our area has the greatest concentration of NASCAR team headquarters and is the hometown of legendary driver, Dale Earnhardt Sr.
As a popular year-round destination for leisure travel, Cabarrus County’s high octane excitement of racing-themed attractions, shopping, restaurants and history also attracts a variety of sports and business-related travelers.
Our region is steeped in speed and embraces the innovative while preserving tradition.
364 sq mi
- Cabarrus County: 206,872
- City of Concord: 92,067
- City of Kannapolis: 48,806
- Town of Harrisburg: 15,728
- Town of Midland: 3,501
- Town of Mt. Pleasant: 1,888
Encompassing the central part of the state, the Piedmont is made up of gently rolling foothills. The area enjoys four distinct seasons, and temperatures are mild year-round.
- Annual average rainfall: 46”
- Annual average temperature: 59°
- January average temperature: Hi 51° Low 30°
- June average temperature: Hi 88° Low 66°
Cabarrus County runs along the Interstate 85 corridor at Exit 49 providing easy access to area hotels, attractions, accommodations and restaurants. Cabarrus County is located just northeast of Charlotte, NC with Interstate 77 just 15 miles west and Interstate 40 just a 30 minute drive north.
- Concord-Padgett Regional Airport (USA) is one of the busiest airports in the Carolinas with over 62,000 annual operations in 2013 and 180 based aircraft. Many of these operations are related to the motorsports industry as most NASCAR related teams are located in the region, several with facilities adjacent to or near Concord-Padgett Regional Airport. Today, USA offers Allegiant Air’s service to select destinations in the Southeastern United states including New Orleans and multiple locations in Florida.
- Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT) is ranked among the nation’s top airports, CLT offers non-stop service to more than 160 destinations worldwide via more than 700 departures and landings daily. American Airlines’ second largest hub and the second largest airport on the East Coast. Located 20 minutes southwest of Cabarrus County.
- AMTRAK is located in the heart of downtown Kannapolis, NC. It is the nation’s intercity passenger rail operator and conveniently connects you to Cabarrus County via the Carolinian/Piedmont route. Amtrak operates more than 300 trains each day at speeds up to 150 mph to more than 500 destinations.
Travel & Tourism Economy
In 2017, tourism generated $446.84 million in visitor spending in Cabarrus County, ranking 12th in travel impact among North Carolina’s 100 counties. More than 4,580 jobs were directly attributed to travel and tourism, and state and local tax revenues amounted to $33.45 million representing a $489 tax savings per household for Cabarrus County residents.